“Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”Eckhart Tolle
Have you ever noticed how challenging it is to know when to let go of something or someone? It can be difficult to recognize the signs that something has run its course in our lives. We go throughout life connecting with people, places and things everywhere we go. Only to realize that we have taken on too much and eventually something or someone has to go. What we used to connect with ultimately becomes out of season and to grow we must shed the old to make room for the new. Not only is it a challenge to recognize when it is time to let go, but it can also be painful. The idea of giving up a relationship, friendship or a desire can be so discouraging. One does not always know how to handle such a task. Let’s say you are in love with someone that you have developed a committed relationship with. You’ve been dating this person for years and suddenly you realize that God is asking you to let this person go. But you had your hopes in marrying this individual. How would you deal with God asking something of you that you know is going to cause you and the person you love pain? These are the types of decisions that we are forced to make at times. When those times come they can be almost unbearable to deal with. But we have a God who cares about us more than we could even care for ourselves. He knows each of us inside and out and if he requests something of us, it is only for our good. No matter how we view what he has asked us to do, we must be willing to obey him for our own sake. Let’s chat about When it is Time to Let Go.
So how do we know when it is time to let go of something? There are signs in everything we do. This is because we are humans connected to a father who is spirit. God uses things in the earth to speak to our spirits. His Holy Spirit lives within us and he shows and tells us what God wants from us by revealing things to us. God is almighty, therefore he can operate in any way that he chooses to get a message across to us. So let’s take a look at some signs that it is time to let go:
- You Feel it in Your Spirit – Sometimes you can just sense that it is time to give something up. You feel a stirring inside that you can’t explain or get rid of. No matter how hard you try to forget it, it just keeps coming back. That can be a sign that the Holy Spirit is trying to get your attention. He will continuously place the same thought in your mind, until you respond.
- You Have to Give Yourself an Excuse to Not Let Go – If you can sense that it is time to release someone or something but you do not actually want to do it; you will almost certainly try to find a way out of doing so. You will tell yourself whatever it is that you need to hear to make yourself believe that it is okay to go against what you know to do. You will know you aren’t making the right decision so you try to find ways to pacify your decision. This is a telltale sign that you need to let go but are struggling to accept it.
- You Go Back and Forth About it – You dwell on it. You consider the outcome and everything in between. You think about what it will be like from every angle and come up with the same conclusion every time. You must let go of what is no longer fitting in your life.
- You Know That Not Letting Go is Hindering Your Growth – At some point we do eventually accept that we must let go of what is not growing with us. If we stall for too long in doing so, soon we start to fall backward a bit. We will know for sure that we are being hindered by what we are holding onto because it will cause us to become stagnant in that area of our lives. Stagnation is the killer of growth and success.
- Fear of Not Finding Better – Sometimes we hold onto what we need to let go of for fear that won’t find something or someone better to replace it. But this is truly a lie from the enemy used to deceive us into keeping what is hindering us. We see it as a loss but God see’s it as a gain. He is asking us to let go of what is in our hands and to place it into his hands instead. What we don’t always see is that God is simply doing an exchange. When we hand to him what we are carrying, he hands to us what he is holding for us. So that what we released is simultaneously being exchanged for something better. We let go of what is in our hand to grab hold of what he was holding in his hand for us all along.
These are just a few simple signs that it is time to let go. Now lets take a look at the Bible and get a better understanding of this topic. I absolutely love the book of Ecclesiastes. Like Proverbs which is another favorite of mine, it is full of Godly wisdom and instruction. Ecclesiastes 3 gives us an excellent description of times and seasons and is perfect to study in relation to this discussion.
A Time for Everything
3 There is a right time for everything, and everything on earth will happen at the right time.
2 There is a time to be born
and a time to die.
There is a time to plant
and a time to pull up plants.
3 There is a time to kill
and a time to heal.
There is a time to destroy
and a time to build.
4 There is a time to cry
and a time to laugh.
There is a time to be sad
and a time to dance with joy.
5 There is a time to throw weapons down
and a time to pick them up.[a]
There is a time to hug someone
and a time to stop holding so tightly.
6 There is a time to look for something
and a time to consider it lost.
There is a time to keep things
and a time to throw things away.
7 There is a time to tear cloth
and a time to sew it.
There is a time to be silent
and a time to speak.
8 There is a time to love
and a time to hate.
There is a time for war
and a time for peace.
God Controls His World
9 Do people really gain anything from their hard work? 10 I saw all the hard work God gave us to do. 11 God gave us the ability to think about his world,[b] but we can never completely understand everything he does. And yet, he does everything at just the right time.
The Bible clearly shows us that there is a time for everything and God is the one who controls his world. We can work hard and put in all the effort we want to. But ultimately it is the Lord who decides what will and will not be. He is the one who can see it all, knows it all and created it all. If we trust in his timing we can never go wrong. We will not always understand the timing of God. He reveals to us what we need to know as we need to know it. We are to use what he tells us to our advantage by obeying him so that we can always remain in alignment with his perfect timing. Otherwise we are out of order and position. That is when will start to see the signs that we are to let go of what is no longer working.
I encourage you to take some time to think about what God has been showing you about what you may need to let go of in your life. Evaluate your relationships, friendships, and desires and ask the Holy Spirit to show you where you need to let go in this season. I pray that this discussion was helpful to you. Be encouraged and know that if there is anything or anyone that you must let go of right now, it is okay because when you do, better will replace it. Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Be sure to follow, like, share and subscribe to get the future posts. Until our next chat, be blessed.